Face-to-face activities canceled at Juana Díaz Three Kings Festival
By The Star Staff
Juana Díaz Mayor Ramón Hernández Torres, along with the Consejo Pro Festejos de Reyes, chaired by Willie John Santiago, announced on Wednesday the cancellation of face-to-face activities related to the traditional Feast of the Magi of Juana Díaz as a result of the recent rise in COVID-19 infections.
“The council decided not to cancel the Three Kings party activity and to make some changes to what had already been programmed,” Santiago said at a press conference. “These changes are: on January 2, 2022 the send-off ceremony will be held and it will be broadcast on Católica Radio and our social networks, and the national caravan scheduled for January 2 to 5 will not be visiting the towns on the list, but yes the neighborhoods of Juana Díaz in a route that we will publish in the afternoon. The artistic celebrations and the handicraft fair will not be taking place.”
He added that on Jan. 6 the parade and later the celebration of the Eucharist at the San Ramón Nonato Parish will be held, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., but it will be closed to the public and transmitted virtually.
Regarding the economic effects that merchants will suffer from the elimination of the public, the mayor asked for understanding.
“Without a doubt the artisans will not have their income, the commerce that always had a boom in these activities, and I hope they understand the process of saving lives,” Hernández Torres said.
Meanwhile, municipal epidemiologist Maricarmen Correa said the municipality of Juana Díaz currently has 887 active cases, 277 confirmed cases, 615 probable cases, three people hospitalized and 13 outbreaks in different sectors of the town. The mayor noted that today a vaccination event will be held at “Toyita” Martínez the Coliseum in partnership with the Puerto Rico Vaccination Coalition, or VOCES.
The mayor also announced the implementation of new executive orders aimed at establishing hours in stores and bars, among other measures to combat the spread of COVID-19.
Separately, the Musical Arts Corp. (CAM by its Spanish acronym) announced on Wednesday the cancellation of the traditional Three Kings concert by the Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra (PRSO), Reyando con tu Sinfónica, which had been scheduled for next Wednesday, Jan. 5, at 7 p.m. at the Pablo Casals Symphony Hall at the Luis A. Ferré Performing Arts Center in Santurce.
The performing arts center box office and Ticketcenter will refund money to those who have purchased tickets, according to an announcement on the CAM’s social networks.
Also canceled is the concert that was to be held today in the Moca town square as part of the “Parrandeando con tu Sinfónica” tour. People are encouraged to keep an eye on PRSO’s social media for details of upcoming presentations.