top of page
Search
  • Writer's pictureThe San Juan Daily Star

Governor: Not possible to maintain joint regulation of permits as ordered by high court


Gov. Pedro Pierluisi

By The Star Staff


Gov. Pedro Pierluisi Urrutia insisted on Tuesday that it was not possible to maintain the joint regulation of permits of 2010 as established by the island Supreme Court, so he opted to put into force an emergency regulation basically the same as the one that had been declared null and void by the high court.


“The one that was issued by the emergency route is basically the same regulation that we had, because it is the most up-to-date,” the governor said in response to questions from the press. “Going back to 2010 didn’t make any sense, because then all the unique permits couldn’t be granted. The system has changed and other laws have changed since 2010. So we leave in application the one we have, but it is only temporary because the approval of a new joint regulation 2023 is already at the level of the final stage.” Pierluisi said the next joint permitting regulation should be ready in the coming months.


On Friday, the Supreme Court, in a unanimous decision, declared the Joint Permit Regulations 2019 and 2020 null and void. In its determination, permits already granted under those regulations were valid, but going forward the regulations approved in 2010 had to be used.

30 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page