top of page
Search
  • Writer's pictureThe San Juan Daily Star

Governor to extend gender violence state of emergency


Gov. Pedro Pierluisi

By The Star Staff


Gov. Pedro Pierluisi Urrutia said Wednesday he will extend the executive order declaring a state of emergency due to gender violence that was slated to expire in December.


“What happens is that I am inclined to extend it, because I don’t want to send the wrong message,” the governor said in response to questions from the press. “The message I would like to send is that we still have a serious problem of gender violence to address and if I come and basically put an end to the emergency declaration, it may be that the message I am sending is that we have already done everything we had to do, and no, it’s not like that.”


“I am inclined to extend it because we continue to see shocking cases,” Pierluisi added. “A significant number of cases of gender violence. So it’s not like this issue has any less priority now. It has the same or greater priority that it had when I declared the emergency in the first place.”


Executive Order 2023-020 declared the continuation of the state of emergency that had been decreed in Administrative Bulletin No. OE-2021-013 due to the high volume of cases of gender violence and orders the government to establish and continue working on measures aimed at Gender Violence Prevention, Support, Rescue and Education. The order is effective from July 1, 2022 to Dec. 31, 2023.

39 views0 comments
bottom of page