The San Juan Daily Star
Lawsuit against San Sebastián festival gun ban to be heard today in San Juan court
According to the lawsuit, the decision to establish certain areas in San Juan in which revelers attending the San Sebastián Street Festival will be searched is unconstitutional.
By THE STAR STAFF
The Corporation for the Defense of the Puerto Rico Weapons License Holder (CODEPOLA by its Spanish acronym) on Wednesday sued the Municipality of San Juan seeking to overturn an ordinance that would ban licensed gun owners from carrying weapons during the San Sebastián Street Festival, which opens today.
According to the suit, which will be heard today by San Juan Superior Court Judge Anthony Cuevas Ramos, the decision to establish certain areas in which revelers attending the event will be searched is unconstitutional.
The suit also says the fact that the city will not provide public transportation to licensed gun owners is also unconstitutional.
Earlier this week, CODEPOLA President Ariel Torres Meléndez said criminals will not ask permission to carry their illegal weapons with them.
The ban is part of the San Juan city council’s security plan, which includes 1,050 municipal and commonwealth police officers, 400 private security guards, and the installation of 420 cameras deployed in the capital city to provide security to between 85,000 and 110,000 people daily.
Referring to the San Juan municipal administration, Torres Meléndez said it is worrying that “an official who believes in the safety of his parties does not make those statements that generate fear in people.”
“On the contrary, the legal bearer of weapons places his safety and that of his family in the training he received and allows him to carry the weapon for the good of his family,” he added.
The municipality of San Juan said it wants revelers to have fun in an orderly fashion.