top of page
Search
  • Writer's pictureThe San Juan Daily Star

National Guard joins the search for soldier swept away by strong waves off Condado




By The Star Staff


The Puerto Rico National Guard (PRNG) joined search efforts on Monday for a guard member who was swept away by strong waves in the Ventana al Mar area of Condado while trying to rescue a tourist who had been pulled out to sea.


“We are supporting the Emergency Management Corps of the municipality of San Juan and the Coast Guard in the search for our colleague, who is a permanent employee of the Puerto Rico National Guard,” said the Maj. Gen. Miguel Méndez, the adjutant general of Puerto Rico, in a written statement. “We join not only in the search efforts but also in support of his family and other fellow soldiers.”


Méndez identified the missing soldier as State Sgt. Fidel Cruz Llanos, whom he described as a helpful, educated, good-hearted person and very committed to his work and his organization.


The PRNG arrived at the scene with a team of resources made up of experts in the areas of aviation, medicine, psychology and social work to support the family members there.


The adjutant general said the PRNG would remain at the scene until search and rescue operations were completed.

111 views0 comments

Comentarios


bottom of page