top of page
Search
  • The San Juan Daily Star

PR to receive $19.4 billion over 5 years under Medicaid accord


Resident Commissioner Jenniffer González Colón

By The Star Staff


Resident Commissioner Jenniffer González Colón said Tuesday that the Medicaid agreement reached Monday night in Congress is for five years.


“The total amount that Puerto Rico will receive in the next five years is about $19.4 billion,” the resident commissioner said in a written statement. “This is about $300 million to $500 million more per year than Puerto Rico received last year. This will help with the impending effects of inflation.”


“The agreement aligns federal funding with the realities of our program so that it does not fall short, and gives stability and security for the next five years,” she said. “The direct contribution to providers is increased from $200 to $300 million annually, with a guarantee of at least 75% of Medicare reimbursement (increased from 70% in previous years).”


González Colón said the budget bill for fiscal year 2023, or omnibus, which was unveiled Tuesday, will go to a vote in the Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives this week after members of the committees of both bodies reached a final agreement on Monday night.


The House Energy and Commerce Committee came to an agreement in July 2021 to fund the Puerto Rico program for five years and extend the 76% federal contribution (FMAP) for the program for five years. In addition, it will include program integrity requirements.


Monday night’s final agreement largely mirrors what was approved in committee.

31 views0 comments
bottom of page