PRASA initiates bidding for new infrastructure projects
By John McPhaul
Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority (PRASA) Executive President Doriel Pagán Crespo announced on Sunday the bids for new infrastructure projects that will benefit the municipalities of Arecibo, Camuy, Vega Baja, Jayuya, Vieques, Culebra, Aguada, Isabela, Aguadilla, Rincón, Moca, Juncos, Yabucoa, Humacao, Naguabo, San Lorenzo, Cidra, Luquillo and San Juan, with an approximate investment of $150 million.
“We remain focused on identifying and addressing development opportunities for new projects,” the official said in a written statement. “These projects will be financed with PRASA’s own funds, and funds from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Community Development Grants Disaster Recovery Program (CDBG-DR) and the State Drinking Water Revolving Fund Program under the provisions of Public Law 104-182-EPA, The Safe Drinking Water Act.”
Examples of the bid notices for these improvement projects are as follows:
* Completion of the first stage of the Valenciano plant and improvements to the Ceiba Sur raw water intake in Juncos: The project consists of the completion of the construction work on the Valenciano water treatment plant and improvements to the water intake and Ceiba Sur raw pumping station. The project will benefit some 48,000 families in the municipality of Juncos.
* Design and construction (phase 1) to rehabilitate tanks located in the Eastern Region: The objective of the project is the rehabilitation and improvement efforts of the tanks located in the Eastern Region. The six tanks impacted by the project have been identified in the following locations: Bayamoncito in Cidra, La Barbera in Humacao, Pasto Viejo in Humacao, El Retiro in Humacao, Las Colinas in Luquillo and Quebrada in San Lorenzo. The project will benefit some 11,048 families in the municipalities of Luquillo, Humacao, Cidra and San Lorenzo.
* Design and construction of the Ceiba and Gurabo Abajo sanitary sewer system: The project consists of the design and construction of a sanitary sewer system pipeline from the Juana Sánchez community center and elementary school on PR-946 to the Placitas pumping station EBA in Juncos. The project will benefit some 450 families in the municipality of Juncos.
* Acquisition and installation of emergency generators (phase 2) for the North Region: The project has the aim of acquiring and installing emergency generators to replace those that are out of service, defective or have reached the end of their useful life. The project includes the supply and installation of emergency power generators, automatic transfer switches (ATS), ducts, wiring and diesel tanks, and will benefit hundreds of families in several municipalities in PRASA’s North Region.
* Design and construction for the rehabilitation of the Isabela-Aguada, Isabela, Aguadilla, Aguada and Rincón sanitary trunk: The project consists of the rehabilitation of the Isabela-Aguada sewer trunk located in the municipalities of Isabela, Aguadilla, Aguada and Rincón.
* Relocation of the Jesús Cruz Miranda pumping station in Jayuya: The project includes improvements to the water distribution and pumping system at the Mameyes-Limón filtration plant in Jayuya. It will benefit some 500 families in the municipality.