top of page
Search
  • The San Juan Daily Star

Special prosecutor named to investigate Naranjito bridge


A recent press report revealed structural failures associated with the 14-year-old suspension bridge on highway PR-5 in Naranjito.


By THE STAR STAFF


Justice Secretary Domingo Emanuelli Hernández said Tuesday that a specialized prosecutor had been appointed to join the Comptroller’s Office’s investigation into the construction of the Naranjito cable bridge, which has been the source of controversy since it was revealed that the bridge suffers from structural failures.


“After maintaining communication with Comptroller Yesmín Valdivieso about the construction of the Naranjito cable bridge, I have made the decision to appoint a specialized prosecutor from the Division of Public Integrity and Comptroller Affairs of the Department of Justice to support the investigative work that the Office of the Comptroller of Puerto Rico will initiate,” Emanuelli Hernández said in a written statement. “This is a matter that requires a comprehensive and thorough investigation, which involves technical and expert aspects, so we will provide you with all the help you need.”


A report by El Nuevo Día last week revealed the structural failures facing the bridge, as well as repairs in which cardboard was used.


Another problem, among others, is the corrosion of steel cables. Currently the bridge, which went into service in October 2008, only has two lanes open.


The Highways and Transportation Authority announced that starting Jan. 30, a section of highway PR-5 will be closed to traffic to begin work on improvements in the structure.

56 views0 comments
bottom of page