Tiger Woods has gone home from the hospital

By Gillian R. Brassil, Alan Blinder and Kevin Draper

Tiger Woods has been released from a Los Angeles hospital where he was treated after a car crash last month, according to a post Tuesday to his Twitter account that said he was recovering at home.

The authorities have continued to investigate the cause of the single-vehicle crash that sent Woods, 45, to the hospital on Feb. 23, when the SUV he was driving crashed onto a hillside along a tricky stretch of road in Los Angeles County.

“I will be recovering at home and working on getting stronger every day,” the Twitter post Tuesday read.

Woods’ only known residence is in Jupiter Island, Florida, where he lives in a mansion — sometimes with his two children, whom he shares with his ex-wife.

The post did not contain updates on his condition, and Mark Steinberg, Woods’ longtime agent, said in an email that he could not offer any further information on his client’s whereabouts or condition.

Here is what else we knew as of Tuesday night.

What injuries was Woods treated for?

Woods was taken to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles on the day of the crash and underwent emergency surgery to repair serious injuries to his right leg.

He was transferred to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles on the evening of Feb. 25.

The morning after Woods’ arrival at Cedars-Sinai, he received “follow-up procedures on his injuries,” which were deemed successful, according to a statement from Woods’ Twitter account.

Dr. Anish Mahajan, the acting chief executive of Harbor-UCLA, said in a statement the night after the crash that both bones in Woods’ lower right leg, the tibia and fibula, had been broken in multiple places and were “open fractures,” meaning they pierced his skin.

Mahajan said doctors had “stabilized” the breaks by placing a rod in the tibia. He said that additional bones in Woods’ ankle and foot were also injured and that they had been “stabilized with a combination of screws and pins.”

The statement did not describe any injuries to Woods’ left leg, though Daryl L. Osby, the Los Angeles County fire chief, had said earlier that Woods had “serious injuries” to both legs. The chief did not explain further and said he was not sure what other injuries Woods might have suffered.

Doctors not involved in Woods’ care have predicted an extremely difficult recovery from his injuries.

What have the authorities learned about the crash?

Sheriff Alex Villanueva of Los Angeles County said in a Facebook Livestream on March 3 that investigators had gotten a search warrant for the event data recorder, also known as a black box, in Woods’ SUV to help clarify the cause of the crash.

An event data recorder is a recording device in most cars that can offer information about how the vehicle was being used — such as how fast it was traveling and whether the driver used brakes — at the time of a crash, according to a spokesperson for the Sheriff’s Department. A search warrant is required to check this data, which is protected under the Driver Privacy Act of 2015.

The warrant to inspect the box’s data was executed on March 1 as part of a “routine procedure,” she said.

When asked why the department did not seek a warrant for blood samples from the hospital, which would indicate whether Woods had alcohol or drugs in his system, Villanueva said in the livestream March 3 that there was no evidence of impairment.

“Absent the evidence of impairment, you know, you’re not going to get a search warrant,” the sheriff said. “Period. It’s not getting assigned by the judge.”

Though the investigation has continued, Villanueva was quite clear at a Feb. 24 news conference that he believed the crash was accidental. “We don’t contemplate any charges whatsoever in this crash,” he said. “This remains an accident, and an accident is not a crime.”

Drug recognition experts — police officers trained to identify people suspected of being impaired — were not dispatched to either the site of the crash or the hospital, Villanueva added.

Although Woods appeared “lucid and calm” immediately after the crash and was able to answer questions from Deputy Carlos González, the first emergency responder to arrive at the scene, he “had no recollection of the crash itself” when asked at the hospital, Villanueva said in a Feb. 24 appearance on CNN.

Forensic experts from across the country who are not involved in the investigation told USA Today, for an article published March 13, that it appeared to be either a case of falling asleep at the wheel or of impaired or distracted driving.

The crash occurred on Hawthorne Boulevard near Rancho Palos Verdes, a coastal city of about 42,000 people in Los Angeles County.

7 views0 comments