USTA plans to move forward with US Open amid pandemic
By Christopher Clarey
Despite major challenges created by the coronavirus pandemic, the U.S. Tennis Association (USTA) is set to announce this week that it will hold the 2020 U.S. Open with the support of the men’s and women’s tours.
The tournament is expected to run as originally scheduled from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13, but without spectators, at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Formal government approval still needs to be secured for the Open to take place, Chris Widmaier, a USTA spokesman, said earlier this week.
“From the beginning, we’ve built this plan in a very collaborative manner,” he said Monday, adding that the USTA had consulted regularly with medical and security experts. “We also recognize in order to move forward that we need government approval, approval from the state of New York and any other entity.”