Search
  • The San Juan Daily Star

Video footage showed at least 1 child near site minutes before drone strike in Kabul


People gather near remnants of a vehicle destroyed by a U.S. drone strike that occurred a day earlier, in Kabul, Afghanistan, Aug. 30, 2021.

By Michelle Goldberg


Surveillance videos showed the presence of at least one child in the area some two minutes before the military launched a drone strike on a site in Kabul, Afghanistan, in August, the Defense Department said earlier this week.


But the general who conducted the investigation into the U.S. airstrike, which the military has acknowledged mistakenly killed 10 civilians, including seven children, said the footage showing the presence of a child would have been easy to miss in real time.


The inquiry by the Air Force’s inspector general, Lt. Gen. Sami Said, found no violations of law and does not recommend any disciplinary action. The general blamed a series of assumptions, made over the course of eight hours as U.S. officials tracked a white Toyota Corolla through Kabul, for causing what he called “confirmation bias,” leading to the Aug. 29 strike.


“That assessment was primarily driven by interpretation,” the general said Wednesday during an unclassified briefing on the report to news media at the Pentagon. “Regrettably, the interpretational assessment was inaccurate.”


While Said acknowledged that the military had video footage showing a child at the site two minutes before the launch, he said that he was unsure whether anyone who was not specifically looking for evidence of a child would have picked up on it.


“Two independent reviews that I conducted, the physical evidence of a child was apparent at the 2-minute point,” he said. “But it is 100% not obvious; you have to be looking for it.”


Planners involved in the strike “had a genuine belief that there was an imminent threat to U.S. forces,” the general said. He acknowledged that was “a mistake” but added that “it’s not negligence.”


Said insisted that the strike has to be considered in the context of the moment, with U.S. officials at a heightened state of alert after a suicide bombing at the Kabul airport three days earlier killed about 170 civilians and 13 U.S. troops.


Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin ordered the review of the military’s initial inquiry into the drone strike to determine, among other issues, who should be held accountable and “the degree to which strike authorities, procedures and processes need to be altered in the future.”


Almost everything senior defense officials asserted in the hours, days and weeks after the drone strike turned out to be false. The explosives the military claimed were loaded in the trunk of a white sedan struck by the drone’s Hellfire missile were probably water bottles. And a secondary explosion in the courtyard in the densely populated Kabul neighborhood where the attack took place was probably a propane or gas tank, officials said.


The driver of the white sedan that was struck by the U.S. drone, Zemari Ahmadi, was employed by Nutrition & Education International, a California-based aid organization.


Gen. Frank McKenzie, head of Central Command, said in a news conference in September that the strike was carried out “in the profound belief” that the Islamic State group was about to launch another attack on Hamid Karzai International Airport.


Since then, the Pentagon offered unspecified condolence payments to the family of the 10 civilians who were killed in the drone strike.


The Pentagon has also said it was working with the State Department to help surviving members of the family relocate to the United States.


Congress has authorized the Pentagon to pay up to $3 million a year for payments to compensate for property damage, personal injury or deaths related to the actions of U.S. armed forces, as well as for “hero payments” to the family members of local allied forces, such as Afghan or Iraqi troops fighting al-Qaida or the Islamic State group.


Condolence payments for deaths caused by the U.S. military have varied widely in recent years. In fiscal 2019, for instance, the Pentagon offered 71 such payments — ranging from $131 to $35,000 — in Afghanistan and Iraq.


The acknowledgment of the mistaken strike came a week after a New York Times investigation of video evidence challenged assertions by the military that it had struck a vehicle carrying explosives meant for the airport.

20 views0 comments