Woman sustains burns over 90% of her body in gas tank explosion
By The Star Staff
A woman was injured with burns on over 90% of her body after a 20-pound gas tank exploded in her residence on Caoba Street in the Monte Casino urbanization of Toa Alta.
According to the police report, the incident occurred around 5:20 a.m. Sunday when part of the woman’s house caught fire due to an explosion caused by a gas dryer in the laundry area of the residence.
Nicole Sals, 34, who was inside the residence at the time of the events, sustained burns to 90% of her body.
She was treated by the paramedics from Toa Alta’s municipal Medical Emergency Corps, who transferred her to the Río Piedras Medical Center.
Personnel from the police Explosives Division joined the investigation headed by Sgt. Noel Ocasio of the Toa Alta Municipal Police.