top of page

Family presses for information about fatal ICE shooting in Maine

  • Writer: The San Juan Daily Star
    The San Juan Daily Star
  • 10 hours ago
  • 3 min read
An impromptu memorial for Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero at the intersection where he was fatally shot by an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent in Biddeford, Maine, July 14, 2026. (Christopher Capozziello/The New York Times)
An impromptu memorial for Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero at the intersection where he was fatally shot by an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent in Biddeford, Maine, July 14, 2026. (Christopher Capozziello/The New York Times)

By MAIA SPOTO and MURRAY CARPENTER


The Department of Homeland Security said its inspector general would investigate an agent’s decision to open fire on a Colombian immigrant last month in Maine. But scant information about the inquiry has frustrated the victim’s family.


The man, Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, was killed by an immigration agent during a July 13 confrontation in the coastal city of Biddeford. Neither the DHS nor Immigration and Customs Enforcement has said publicly whether Durán Guerrero, 25, was the target of the enforcement operation. But the DHS defended the officer who opened fire, saying he had done so while “fearing for public safety.”


In an effort to draw attention to the many unanswered questions, Democratic members of Congress held a public forum Monday in Biddeford and were joined by Durán Guerrero’s relatives in demanding more information.


The auditorium where the forum was held was packed, with about 200 people, many of them wearing T-shirts and carrying placards critical of ICE. The crowd punctuated the lawmakers’ comments with raucous applause and occasional chants of “ICE out” and “Abolish ICE.”


Rep. Chellie Pingree, D-Maine, who organized the forum, said that the lack of video footage was concerning.


“If there were active body cameras on every law enforcement member who was participating there, we wouldn’t be looking at some scratchy videos from one store that’s over here, or one person that’s standing in their doorway that’s trying to get it,” Pingree said at a news conference after the hearing. “We would actually know every moment that’s happened at the scene.”


The shooting in Maine came less than a week after a fatal immigration encounter in Houston, and the two deaths prompted a fresh wave of attention on aggressive enforcement tactics by federal agents carrying out President Donald Trump’s mass deportation campaign.


Ben Gideon, a lawyer representing the family of Durán Guerrero, said at the news conference that the man’s partner, Karolina Rojas, has been interviewed by state investigators but had not been contacted by any of the federal agencies involved.


“Any reasonable investigation would include interviewing the family and eyewitnesses,” Gideon said.


The DHS had said that agents were monitoring what they believed to be the home of someone who was in the country illegally and had been issued a removal order.


The DHS and the Department of Justice declined to answer direct questions about whether the killing was being investigated. The Justice Department referred the question to the DHS, which said that its inspector general would investigate the discharge of the agent’s firearm but said nothing about investigating Durán Guerrero’s death.


Immigration agents have shot at more than 20 people during the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown, including many who were in vehicles, some of them fatally.


Durán Guerrero had a pending asylum application and a valid work permit, and no removal order, Pingree said.


Durán Guerrero had worked as a food delivery driver and a cleaner at a veterinary clinic. He and his partner had a 3-year-old daughter.


Maine Gov. Janet Mills said at the hearing that she was heartbroken by the shooting but that she was confident that the state attorney general, Aaron Frey, would conduct a thorough investigation.


Mayor Liam LaFountain of Biddeford also addressed the officials. He said that Biddeford has been devastated by the shooting and that there has been no federal support to deal with the aftermath.


“The authority was federal,” LaFountain said. “The burden has been local.”


Omar Durán, Durán Guerrero’s father, said he feels “a deep pain” when Durán Guerrero’s daughter asks why her father doesn’t come home from work.


“The death of Johan Sebastián, under those conditions, at the hands of ICE, fills our community with fear and uncertainty,” he said. “That is why I ask only of God and of the justice system that my son’s case be brought to light, along with the case of the many others who have had to go through something like this.”

Comments

Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page