top of page
Search


US-bound flight diverted to Canada because of Ebola restrictions.
By AMELIA NIERENBERG An Air France flight bound for Detroit was diverted to Montreal on Wednesday after it was denied permission to land in the United States because a passenger was from Congo, where an Ebola outbreak is underway. Flight 378, which took off from Paris, was diverted after the Congolese national “was denied entry into the United States,” the airline said in a statement Thursday. “There was no medical emergency on board,” it added. The Trump administration Monda
The San Juan Daily Star
1 day ago2 min read


Uganda restricts travel with Congo over Ebola outbreak.
A port official provides hand soap to passengers arriving on a boat, which traveled on Lake Kivu from Bukavu, at the port, where sanitary measures had been taken in response to the Ebola outbreak, in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, on Thursday, May 21, 2026. (Arlette Bashizi/The New York Times) By LYNSEY CHUTEL and MATTHEW MPOKE BIGG Uganda will tightly restrict travel to and from Congo because of an Ebola outbreak, Ugandan officials announced Thursday, as health workers
The San Juan Daily Star
1 day ago4 min read


Nimitz aircraft carrier enters Caribbean as Trump pressures Cuba.
By ERIC SCHMITT The aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and its escort warships entered the southern Caribbean Sea on Wednesday and will remain in the region for at least a few days as part of the Trump administration’s campaign to pressure the Cuban government, according to the military’s Southern Command and a U.S. official. Right now, the administration intends to use the Nimitz, and its wing of fighter jets, as a show of force, not as a platform for major military operations, as
The San Juan Daily Star
1 day ago1 min read


News of US indictment slow to reach Cubans waiting for a breakthrough.
A woman walks into a furniture workshop with images of, from left, Fidel Castro, the Cuban flag, Raúl Castro, and Che Guevara, right, in Havana, on Wednesday, May 20, 2026. (Lisette Poole/The New York Times) By EMMA BUBOLA As the news of the U.S. indictment of Raúl Castro, the former president of Cuba on charges of murder, spread across the world, many Cubans were kept in the dark. Widespread blackouts on the fuel-starved island and spotty phone signals meant word of the new,
The San Juan Daily Star
1 day ago3 min read


Ebola outbreak in Central Africa could last months, WHO says.
In a photo from the World Health Organization, Health supplies from the World Health Organization are unloaded at the airport in Bunia city in the Ituri Province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, on Tuesday, May 18, 2026. Health officials have reported more than 130 suspected deaths and 513 cases, a sharp rise since the outbreak was first identified in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. (World Health Organization via The New York Times) By LYNSEY CHUTEL, YAN
The San Juan Daily Star
2 days ago4 min read


US Justice Dept. charges former Cuban president in fatal downing of planes.
Raul Castro, right, then president of Cuba, confers with his brother Fidel Castro during the Sixth Congress of the Communist Party of Cuba in Havana on April 19, 2011. The U.S. Justice Department has indicted Raul Castro, the former president and defense minister of Cuba, on murder and conspiracy charges tied to the downing of two American civilian planes in 1996. Castro was charged along with five others in the case. (José Goitía/The New York Times) By ALAN FEUER, FRANCES RO
The San Juan Daily Star
2 days ago5 min read


US, escalating pressure on Cuba, hits top officials with sanctions.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio holds a briefing at the White House in Washington on Tuesday, May 5, 2026. “Today’s designations further restrict the Cuban regime’s ability to suppress the will of the Cuban people,” Rubio said in a statement earlier this week. (Tierney L. Cross/The New York Times) By FRANCES ROBLES The Trump administration on Monday intensified its pressure campaign against Cuba’s government, issuing sanctions on three government agencies and 11 top officials.
The San Juan Daily Star
3 days ago3 min read


As a weakened Putin follows Trump to Beijing, Iran war offers an opening.
President Donald Trump and President Xi Jinping of China review members of the Chinese military outside the Great Hall of the People in Beijing during their two-day summit, on Thursday, May 14, 2026. With the upheaval in the Persian Gulf disrupting oil and gas supplies, Russia is looking to deepen its energy ties to China. (Kenny Holston/The New York Times) By IVAN NECHEPURENKO and DAVID PIERSON President Vladimir Putin of Russia arrived in Beijing on Tuesday for a state visi
The San Juan Daily Star
3 days ago5 min read


Eager for arms deal, Taiwan stresses need for US support.
By MINHO KIM Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te said Sunday that weapons sales from the United States remained a crucial element for maintaining peace and stability in the region, comments made after President Donald Trump suggested a multibillion dollar weapons deal with the island could be used as a “negotiating chip” with China. Lai made a point to thank Trump for his support since his first term as president, including “a sustained increased in the scale and value of arms s
The San Juan Daily Star
4 days ago2 min read


Venezuela extradites billionaire tycoon to the US.
Alex Saab, center, during an election rally for Nicolás Maduro in Caracas, Venezuela, July 25, 2024. The successor to Venezuela’s captured President Nicolás Maduro is purging the people who kept him in power. (Alejandro Cegarra/The New York Times) By SIMON ROMERO A scandal-plagued billionaire tycoon close to Venezuela’s deposed president, Nicolás Maduro, was extradited to the United States over the weekend, Venezuela’s government said. The extradition of Alex Saab, a Colombia
The San Juan Daily Star
4 days ago2 min read
bottom of page
