top of page
Search
  • Writer's pictureThe San Juan Daily Star

PDP vows to boycott November status plebiscite



Popular Democratic Party president and gubernatorial candidate Jesús Manuel Ortiz González

By The Star Staff


The Popular Democratic Party (PDP) governing board voted to protest the status consultation called for the day of the general elections, the pro-commonwealth party’s president said Thursday.


“The Popular Democratic Party calls on its voters to protest energetically against this sterile plebiscite, depositing the blank ballot as a sign of rejection of this anti-democratic mockery,” Jesús Manuel Ortiz González said in a written statement.


As previously reported by the STAR, Gov. Pedro Pierluisi Urrutia maintained on Wednesday that his decision to call the consultation was “final and firm” and that whatever decisions that political parties and their gubernatorial candidates made in protest of the proposed status vote were inconsequential.


Ortiz González is the PDP candidate for governor.


“Those who are now expressing themselves, candidates for governor for the Dignity Project, the [Puerto Rican] Independence Party [PIP] and in the same way the Popular Democratic Party, have not realized that this has nothing to do with their personal aspirations,” the governor said. “This has to do with the future of Puerto Rico from the point of view of our status, that the one we have is unworthy, that the one we have limits us and is practically shameful.”


Spokespeople from the Dignity Project, PIP and Citizen Victory Movement on Wednesday expressed their opposition to the consultation.

72 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page