Ex-OGPe official referred to authorities over alleged violations in RFP.
- The San Juan Daily Star
- 1 hour ago
- 2 min read

By THE STAR STAFF
The former deputy director of Puerto Rico’s Office of Permits Management (OGPe by its acronym in Spanish), Norberto Almodóvar Vélez, has been referred to the Department of Justice, the Office of the Comptroller, the Government Ethics Office (OEG) and the Human Resources Office of the Department of Economic Development and Commerce (DDEC) after an internal investigation found evidence of possible violations of the Penal Code, the Government Ethics Act, federal procurement rules and internal agency regulations.
The investigation -- conducted by the external law firm HRM LLC, led by former OEG Director Hiram Morales and former judge Eloina Torres Cancel -- concluded that Almodóvar exerted improper pressure on an evaluation committee, retaliated against an employee who raised concerns, and attempted to obstruct the inquiry. The case centers on a competitive request for proposals (RFP) for a federally funded advertising contract worth between $1 million and $2 million, intended to support public outreach on Puerto Rico’s building codes.
DDEC Secretary Sebastián Negrón Reichard said two members of the evaluation committee approached him in late March to report what they described as a pattern of pressure from Almodóvar and his personnel director, Charlene Newman, to favor a particular bidder and later alter the scores they had already submitted.
“What they told me was deeply troubling,” the DDEC secretary said. “They were alarmed and disturbed by what appeared to be improper pressure to influence the outcome of a competitive process.”
Negrón Reichard ordered an immediate internal review, which was later expanded and handed to HRM LLC. The firm’s findings describe not only the alleged pressure but also a series of actions aimed at delaying or derailing the investigation. Those actions included Almodóvar’s attempts to challenge the DDEC’s authority over OGPe, efforts to obtain a legal opinion to undermine the probe, and failures to appear for scheduled interviews.
The controversy intensified when Almodóvar circulated a letter to OGPe employees on May 14, accusing the government’s “Con Permiso” public‑education campaign of undermining staff morale. Negrón Reichard said the letter was strategically released as a distraction.
“That letter was a smokescreen,” he said. “Respecting employees does not mean using them as a human shield to cover up one’s own actions.”
The DDEC secretary emphasized that no federal funds were lost because the RFP was halted before any award was made. The process has now been formally canceled to “clean the administrative record” and ensure compliance before restarting.
Almodóvar has been removed from his trust position as deputy director, and both he and Newman -- who hold career positions -- have been placed on summary suspension pending an administrative hearing within 10 days.
“My legal and ethical obligation is to protect the integrity of the processes I oversee, regardless of the personal or professional cost,” Negrón Reichard said.
Almodóvar, who has reportedly resigned, was removed from his trust position as deputy director, and both he and Newman -- both had held career positions -- were placed on summary suspension pending an administrative hearing within 10 days.
