At least 2 horses injured in fire at Camarero Racetrack.
- The San Juan Daily Star
- 3 hours ago
- 2 min read

By THE STAR STAFF
The administration of Camarero Racetrack in Canóvanas confirmed on Sunday that at least two horses suffered burns Saturday night after a fire broke out in two of its stables.
Two other horses showed symptoms consistent with dehydration, according to a statement shared in social media.
“Camarero Racetrack is addressing horse racing fans, owners, and the general public to inform them about an incident that occurred last night, Saturday, May 16, after 9:00 p.m.,” the organization stated. “Under circumstances that are still under investigation, a fire broke out in stall number 32 of our facilities. As an immediate safety measure, 15 horses were evacuated. Two of these suffered minor burns related to the emergency. All the horses were immediately taken to the veterinary clinic after the incident and subsequently relocated to the quarantine building to continue under observation and care.”
“During the same night, Dr. [José] García Blanco attended to and evaluated each of the affected horses, providing them with immediate veterinary care,” the statement added.
According to the police report, the stable structure was engulfed in flames. The extent of the damage has not yet been estimated.
The preliminary investigation was led by Officer Belbeline Ramos, who referred the case to the Metro Explosives and Public Safety Division for further investigation.
Camarero officials said the commonwealth police are continuing their investigation to determine the cause of the fire and “establish the corresponding actions.”
“Camarero Racetrack will fully cooperate with this process and will take all necessary measures to guarantee the safety and well-being of everyone on our premises,” they said. “We appreciate the rapid response of the emergency personnel and reiterate our commitment to the safety, transparency, and well-being of all horses and members of our horse racing community.”
In response to the incident, Puerto Rico Gaming Commission Executive Director Juan Carlos Santaella said an administrative investigation into the incident is ongoing.
“The well-being of the horses and the safety of all personnel was our priority from the very beginning,” Santaella said. “As soon as the fire started, we checked that the horses were safe and that no one had been injured. Our team arrived on site to assess the affected areas and begin the administrative investigation in coordination with the Firefighters Bureau, which continues working to determine the cause of the incident.”
He added that the Horse Racing Bureau will continue to collaborate with the relevant authorities as the investigation progresses.
Santaella added that the situation would not affect racing at the track, so scheduled races were to continue Sunday at their regular time.
