top of page
Search
  • Writer's pictureThe San Juan Daily Star

Governor defends public housing chief’s handling of rental assistance funding surplus


Public Housing Administrator Alejandro Salgado Colón

By The Star Staff


Gov. Pedro Pierluisi Urrutia on Wednesday described as pragmatic the decision by Public Housing Administrator Alejandro Salgado Colón to return $60 million from the federal Emergency Rental Assistance program in exchange for $45 million to build 160 units of public housing.


“Some criticize for the sake of criticizing,” the governor said in response to questions from the press. “In other words, what I saw in the report itself is that more people were served than the federal government estimated we were going to serve. They estimated that we were going to serve 55,80 people and more than 80,000 have already been served. What happens in Puerto Rico is that our market is different. The rental market, rental fees in Puerto Rico are substantially lower than in the states. That is why a greater amount was allocated than was actually … going to be disbursed. So, what Mr. Salgado has done, and he explained it very well, is to go ahead and establish an agreement that, yes, disburse 75% of the funds that we had, that we have, that we have received in a second round, which allows a large part of those funds that you say are returned to be given another use. Then we can build rental housing, which would then be available to the same population.”


“I find Mr. Salgado’s position very pragmatic. The only criticism I saw that they say is that more should have been announced, but I know that it was announced in the media constantly and what has happened in both the first round and the second is that a lot of people have been served, more than the federal government expected,” Pierluisi added. “But again, it is that the fees are not so high and that is why the [full] amount allocated is not consumed. As Salgado explained to El Nuevo Día, the determination is a strategy aimed at accelerating the pace of spending that allows reaching 75% of the obligation – of the totality of the $240 million from the American Rescue Plan Act – in order to receive the remaining 25% of the funds for the development of housing for rent.”

45 views2 comments

2 Comments


Rose Rose
Rose Rose
Apr 27, 2023

you know how I feel about the lying/European Union run traitor PR government, they self Sabotaged themselves so bad out of desperation due to going to Ivy league schools that teach them how to be colonizers, that their lineages will be feeling it for decades to come. On another note when are they going to do an audit on all the fake deeds and leases floating around! 😁

Like
Rose Rose
Rose Rose
Apr 27, 2023
Replying to

the government of PR is so lucky they don’t have me on their team, because I would come in and fire all of them for abusing the crap out of the Boricuas of Boriken since the inception of the illegal U.S. Insular cases and for refusing to obtain reparations for the Boricuas of Boriken

Like
bottom of page