top of page

Judge orders Trump administration to restore displays about slavery at Washington’s house

  • Writer: The San Juan Daily Star
    The San Juan Daily Star
  • 8 hours ago
  • 3 min read
Visitors at the President’s House Site in Philadelphia, Jan. 31, 2026, a week after the Trump administration ordered the removal of all interpretive signs. A federal judge on Monday, Feb. 16, ordered the Trump administration to temporarily restore displays about George Washington’s ownership of enslaved people at a monument on the site of his former house in Philadelphia. (Hannah Yoon/The New York Times)
Visitors at the President’s House Site in Philadelphia, Jan. 31, 2026, a week after the Trump administration ordered the removal of all interpretive signs. A federal judge on Monday, Feb. 16, ordered the Trump administration to temporarily restore displays about George Washington’s ownership of enslaved people at a monument on the site of his former house in Philadelphia. (Hannah Yoon/The New York Times)

By ANUSHKA PATIL


A federal judge earlier this week ordered the Trump administration to temporarily restore displays about George Washington’s ownership of enslaved people at a monument on the site of his former house in Philadelphia. The judge said the government’s claim to have the power to erase and alter historical accounts at the country’s monuments echoed George Orwell’s dystopian novel “1984.”


In a 40-page opinion, Judge Cynthia M. Rufe granted a preliminary injunction to the city of Philadelphia, which had sued the Interior Department and the National Park Service over their decision to remove the displays. The order means the government must put the materials back up while the underlying lawsuit proceeds in court.


Last month, National Park Service workers arrived unannounced at the President’s House Site, a monument on the spot of a home used by Washington and President John Adams in the early days of the nation, and took down panels, displays and video exhibits describing the local history of slavery and commemorating the nine enslaved people Washington kept there while he was president.


The park service has said that the displays were taken down to ensure “accuracy, honesty and alignment with shared national values.” The move was part of a far-reaching effort by the Trump administration to rewrite American history along ideological lines at national monuments and parks across the country.


“As if the Ministry of Truth in George Orwell’s ‘1984’ now existed, with its motto ‘Ignorance Is Strength,’ this court is now asked to determine whether the federal government has the power it claims — to dissemble and disassemble historical truths when it has some domain over historical facts,” Rufe wrote. “It does not.”


“Each person who visits the President’s House and does not learn of the realities of founding-era slavery, receives a false account of this country’s history,” added Rufe, who was appointed by President George W. Bush.


The order bars further alterations to the President’s House Site but does not set a deadline for restoring the displays. The Interior Department said it planned to file an appeal, but unless stayed by a higher court, the injunction will remain in effect until Rufe enters her final ruling. The preliminary injunction signals that she believes the city has a strong case and is likely to prevail.


The Interior Department and the Park Service said in a statement Tuesday that the ruling was an “unnecessary judicial intervention” and that plans had been in the works to update the displays with “a fuller account of the history of slavery” at the site. The department did not immediately elaborate on what the updated materials would have said, or what had been determined to be missing in the original account of slavery. The city of Philadelphia did not immediately respond to requests for comment.


The Trump administration has extended its ideological battles to many national monuments, museums and parks, ridding them of what the president sees as liberal viewpoints. At the Muir Woods National Monument in California and Fort Sumter in South Carolina, for instance, signs about climate change were removed.


At Lowell National Historical Park in Massachusetts, employees were ordered to stop showing films about the grueling conditions endured by mill workers, many of them women and immigrants, in the early 19th century. And at the Stonewall National Monument in New York City, long seen as the birthplace of the national LGBTQ+ rights movement, the Pride flag was removed last week.

Comments


Looking for more information?
Get in touch with us today.

Postal Address:

PO Box 6537 Caguas, PR 00726

Phone:

Phone:

logo

© 2026 The San Juan Daily Star - Puerto Rico

Privacy Policies

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
bottom of page