top of page
Search
  • Writer's pictureThe San Juan Daily Star

Woman detained in killing of Peruvian tourists


By The Star Staff


Marangely Mclat Claudio turned herself in at the Caguas police headquarters earlier this week after it was determined she had some connection with a double homicide early last Saturday in a business on Loíza Street in Santurce.


The woman was being held Tuesday at the Puerto Rico Police Bureau General Headquarters in Hato Rey,


“In order to protect the integrity of the investigation, no additional details will be offered, at this time,” Police Commissioner Antonio López Figueroa said in a written statement.


Mclat Claudio was caught on video disseminated by police firing a gun in the area where Peruvian tourists Franco Medina Angulo and Sergio Palomino Ruiz were killed.


It would appear that the tourists were caught in crossfire between Mclat Claudio and other people who also discharged their weapons in the place.


“We emphasize the call to anyone who may possess any type of information that contributes to the clarification of the events that culminated in the death of the two young people of Peruvian origin,” the commissioner added. “Information is received through 787-343-2020. It is handled confidentially and the anonymity of those who collaborate is guaranteed.”


Gov. Rafael Pierluisi Urrutia said Tuesday that there is no doubt that last Saturday’s double homicide can be expected to have an undesirable effect on tourism.


“If everything, every act of violence and even more so any murder that is tragic, and if it happens, if it affects the tourist who visits us, then it has an impact,” the governor said in response to questions from the press. “There is no doubt that it has an impact. Puerto Rico is now perceived as a safe destination. And the reason is that although we have a crime problem, basically in Puerto Rico people can move about, tourists can move about, visit different parts of the island without any danger.”


“The entity that manages the destination, that is, the DMO … periodically surveys tourists and the latest survey reflects that 93 percent of those who visit us, of tourists, feel safe in Puerto Rico,” Pierluisi added. “In other words, yes, that incident has an impact, it is very regrettable. We are talking about two young students who came here to Puerto Rico to celebrate the birthday of one of them. And, well, obviously they were innocent victims in a crossfire that is being investigated and will be investigated to the utmost extent.”

183 views0 comments

Comentarios


bottom of page